PRIVACY & SECURITY POLICY
The County of Los Angeles (County) Department of Animal Care and Control (DACC) recognizes the public’s concern with regard to privacy on the Internet. This Privacy & Security Policy establishes how information gathered about you from your visit to the DACC’s Website (Website or DACC Website) will be used, depending on your activities at this Website.
Information Subject to the Public Record Act and Other Laws
As an initial matter, please be advised that DACC is subject to statutes relating to public records of the State of California, known as the Public Records Act, (Government Code § 6250 et. seq.). Much of the information you submit to DACC are public records as defined by the Act. Consequently, under certain circumstances, DACC may be required to disclose such information in accordance with the Public Records Act or other laws.
Personally Identifiable Information Collected
DACC will not collect personally identifiable information (e.g., your name, address, e‑mail address, credit/debit card number, or other information that can be associated with you without additional information) about you when you visit the DACC Website, unless you use the Website for processing credit/debit card transactions or otherwise choose to provide that information to DACC. The information collected from your use of this Website or that you otherwise choose to provide to DACC will be used and retained as described in the remainder of this Privacy & Security Policy.
Information Collected and Stored Automatically
DACC may collect and store information automatically when you visit the DACC Website for statistical purposes. For example, DACC may collect data on the number of visitors to the different areas of the Website to assist DACC in the maintenance and development of the Website. The information collected may include, but is not limited to, data related to the name and domain of the host from which you access the Internet, the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the computer you are using, or your browser software and operating system.
This information does not identify you personally and we may retain this information for at least five (5) years.
Personally Identifiable Information Collected from E-mails, Surveys, etc.
By sending DACC an electronic request (“by e-mail”), using the Contact Us option or otherwise, you are sending us personally identifiable information (e.g., your name, address, and e-mail address, as well as any other personally identifiable information included in the electronic request). We store this information in order to respond to your request or otherwise address the subject matter of your request.
Also, from time to time, DACC may ask you for specific personally identifiable information in the form of a survey, feedback form, questionnaire or other means, all with the goal of providing better service. We will only retain the information that you provide in response to that survey, etc. E-mail and these other means generally are not secure and may be subject to the disclosure requirements of the California Public Records Act or other legal requirements.
Personally Identifiable Information Transmitted and Stored for Credit/Debit Card Transactions
You must provide certain contact information, such as name, address, e-mail address, and financial information, such as credit/debit card number and expiration date, in order to process a credit/debit card payment using this Website. Here is what you should know about the security of personally identifiable information you provide in order for us to process these transactions:
DACC is committed to data security and the data quality of personally identifiable information that is either available from or collected by the DACC Website and has taken reasonable precautions to protect such information from loss, misuse, or alteration. DACC requires that “secure data networks” be operated, which are protected by industry standard firewalls and password protection systems. DACC additionally requires that only authorized individuals have access to the information provided by users of the DACC Website.
We require the use of Secure Socket Layer (“SSL”) standard encryption to protect transmission of users' personally identifiable information submitted in connection with processing credit/debit card transactions. SSL is a security technology designed to enable your browser to send and receive information from another server in an encrypted format. Your browser’s security icon, usually located in the top or bottom status bar of your window, reflects the security condition of your browser. The lock icon indicates that your browser is communicating over a secured link.
We require that all the information you provide to us in this manner be stored securely.
Use of Personally Identifiable Information
As described above, a user must provide certain contact and financial information in order for the user to process credit/debit card transactions using this Website. We require that the information be used for the limited purpose of processing these transactions and as otherwise permitted by the rules and regulations of the applicable credit card associations, debit card networks, credit/debit card issuers and/or credit/debit card processors. [We do not permit this information to be used for marketing purposes and we require that it be retained for at least five (5) years in accordance with banking and accounting principles.
Sharing Personally Identifiable Information with Third Parties
We do not share personally identifiable information with third parties, except that we will provide the necessary personally identifiable information, including credit/debit card numbers, to the companies assisting us with processing credit/debit card transactions through our Website, including credit card associations, debit card networks, credit/debit card processors and banks. In some circumstances, we may also be required by law to disclose certain personally identifiable information in accordance with the disclosure requirements of the California Public Records Act or other legal requirements or we may disclose such information to law enforcement and/or fraud investigatory agencies, or to other third parties when we, in our sole discretion, reasonably believe necessary to protect our property or other rights, or the property or other rights of third parties or the public at large.
Consequences of Failing to Provide Personally Identifiable Information
If you choose not to provide us with your name or other necessary personally identifiable information, you will not be able to process a credit/debit card transaction using this Website. If you have concerns about privacy and security on the Internet, you also have the option to receive DACC services in person at one of the County’s animal care centers.
The DACC Website may use “cookies.” A cookie is an identifier placed on your computer to ensure that DACC is not asking you the same questions every time you visit the DACC Website. If you want to browse this Website without any interruptions, you may need to set your browser to accept “cookies.”
Personal Code and License Number:
You may have the opportunity to receive a temporary personal code and license number that is unique to you. You agree to maintain the confidentiality and security of such personal code and license number. If you provide the personal code and license number to another person (e.g., to access information or make a license renewal payment), you will be responsible for the other person’s actions at the DACC Website. DACC will never ask you for the personal code and license number in an unsolicited phone call or e-mail. When you are finished with those applications that require a personal code and license number you should exit the page.
Privacy Statements for Other Websites
This Privacy & Security Policy describes the information gathering practices and procedures of DACC. DACC may provide links from the DACC Website to external sites maintained by other County of Los Angeles Departments, public agencies, or private organizations. DACC provides these links only as a convenience to our visitors. DACC makes no representations about the accuracy or content of any material available thereon. Links to the third party Websites are not intended to and do not imply affiliation with, sponsorship or endorsement of, these third parties. Once you link to another Website, you are subject to the privacy and security policy of that Website and assume sole responsibility for the use of that site.
NOTE: When you use this Website to process a credit/debit card payment, you will be transferred to a portion of the Website hosted by our contracted payment processing vendor ("Payment Processor"). Our Payment Processor will prompt you to enter all information necessary to make a credit/debit card payment and will thereafter take all steps necessary to process such payment on our behalf. The DACC Payment Processor has agreed to abide by this Privacy & Security Policy while collecting such information and processing such payments on our behalf.
Changes of Current Policy
Additions, deletions, or changes in the terms of this Privacy & Security Policy may be made from time to time. This document will be updated to reflect new changes.
Getting Access to Information - Changing Information
For information on reviewing and/or making changes to information about you that may be in our records (such as a change of address), please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. To change an address you may also complete and mail the change of address form on your renewal notice.
- Thank you for visiting the County of Los Angeles Department of Animal Care and Control (DACC) Website (DACC Website or Website). This Website is operated by the County of Los Angeles (County) through DACC. The administrative headquarters of DACC is located at 5898 Cherry Avenue, Long Beach, California 90805.
- Please also review our Payment Policy and Privacy & Security Policy, which also governs your use of the DACC Website.
- If you decide to use this Website to pay a fee, please note the following:
- You will not be charged a service fee for the processing of these payments. Payment methods are limited to Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover credit card or debit cards with NYCE, STAR, and PULSE logos. You do not have to make your payment using this Website. You may also make your payment in person at any County of Los Angeles animal care center. In person, payment may be made by cash, check, or the above-noted types credit or debit cards.
- Your payment date is the date on which you select and depress the "Submit Payment" button if we confirm the transaction and e-mail you a confirmation number.
- We offer the ability to make payments using this Website as a courtesy only. We assume no obligation to ensure that it is available for your use. There may be times when the service is unavailable due to, among other reasons, system maintenance or outages. Title 10 of the Los Angeles County Code specifies that a delinquency charge shall be assessed if the renewal fee is not paid on or before the expiration date of the license. Therefore, if this Website is unavailable, use an alternate payment method.
- If you have questions about the amount due in your invoice and/or do not believe that your license should be renewed, contact DACC either in person by visiting one of the County's animal care centers or over the phone by calling (562) 345-0400 prior to the due date listed on your license renewal notice. If you would like to inquire if you are entitled to a refund of a license fee previously paid, please also contact DACC by a method noted above.
- Unless otherwise noted, all contents of this Website, including without limitation all text, programs, products, processes, technology, information, content, and other materials; together with all copyrights, trademarks, trade dress and/or other intellectual property therein (collectively, Contents), and the compilation (meaning the collection, arrangement, and assembly) are owned by the County or by third parties who have licensed such Contents to the County. Such Contents are protected by U.S. and international copyright laws. DACC, on behalf of itself and such licensors, expressly reserve all rights, including without limitation intellectual property rights in this Website and all Contents and compilation of Contents from time to time available on this Website. Access to this Website does not confer, and shall not be considered as conferring, upon any user of the Website any license or other rights to the Website, the Contents, or the compilation of Contents.
- The Website is provided to you on an “as is” basis without any warranties of any kind, whether express or implied. To the extent permissible under applicable law, DACC hereby disclaim all warranties, express or implied, including but not limited to, warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title, and non‑infringement. Without limiting the foregoing, DACC does not make any representations or warranties that (a) the information or other materials available on this Website will be error-free, (b) defects in this Website will be corrected, (c) this Website or its servers are free of viruses or other harmful components, and/or (d) this Website will be secure, accessible continuously, and without interruption. Further, DACC does not make any representations or warranties regarding the use, accuracy, reliability, completeness, or contents of the information or other materials available on this Website.
- DACC has not reviewed all of the third party Websites linked to or framing this Website and are not responsible for the content of any pages on such third party Websites. DACC does not make any representations or warranties as to the security of any information (including, without limitation, credit card and other personal information) you may have or might be requested to provide to any third party, and you hereby irrevocably waive any claim against DACC with respect to such third party Websites and their content. Linking to any other pages connected to other Websites is at your own risk.
- Neither the County nor DACC accepts any liability for any conduct, acts, or omissions occurring at this Website. Under no circumstances will the County or DACC be liable to you for any consequential, incidental, or special damages, including any lost profits or loss of data, even if you claim to have notified County or DACC of such damages, or for any claims by third parties.
TERMS OF PAYMENT
BEFORE YOU CAN USE OUR SERVICE, YOU MUST AGREE
TO THE FOLLOWING TERMS
These Terms of Payment set forth the terms of the online payment service (Online Payment Service) offered to you by the County of Los Angeles (County) Department of Animal Care and Control (DACC) via DACC’s website (DACC Website or Website). The Online Payment Service provides customers with the ability to make payments online by using Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover credit cards (Credit Card(s)), which is subject to the terms and conditions set forth herein.
Conditions of Payment for Credit Card
Credit Card payments using the Online Payment Service are limited to a cardholder who has a billing address within the United States of America. DACC will NOT accept payments through the Online Payment Service from any party/individual who has a Credit Card billing address outside of the United States, is not an authorized user of the credit card utilized for the payment to DACC, or is making a payment from a foreign country that does not support a minimum of 128-bit encryption.
Credit Card transactions are limited to a maximum of $2,000.00 in total and per transaction. For transactions exceeding $2,000.00, please make payment by mail or in person, as described under the “Other Methods of Payment” section below.
Other Methods of Payment
Credit Card payments are the only methods of payment that will be accepted through the Online Payment Service.
Please note that in addition to making a payment using the Online Payment Service, payments to DACC can also be made by mail or in person.
BY MAIL: Check payments by mail should be addressed to the County of Los Angeles Department of Animal Care and Control, 12440 Imperial Highway, Suite 603, Norwalk, California, 90650. Please make checks payable to “County of Los Angeles Department of Animal Care and Control.”
IN PERSON: Cash, check, money order, credit card, or debit card in person payments are to be made at any of our animal care centers.
Login and Security
You will need a user name and password to use this Site. If you do not have your user name and/or password, you cannot use the Online Payment Service. You can create your own account (user name/password) by going through the online registration process.
State law or local ordinance mandates that a penalty be assessed if a payment is received after the delinquency date. Therefore, if the Online Payment Service is unavailable or you do not have your user name and/or password, use an alternate payment method prior to the delinquency date to avoid such penalties.
For security reasons, you agree to maintain the confidentiality and security of the user name and password to this Website. If you provide the user name and password to someone else, you will be responsible for his or her actions or ensuing liabilities in connection with the Online Payment Service. Neither DACC nor the County assumes any responsibility with respect to the use, misuse, and/or loss of your password and/or user name.
Payment Date for Credit Card
Your payment is deemed received at the time: (1) you select the "Submit" button for a payment; (2) your payment is approved; and (3) we provide you with a receipt number. We may process your Credit Card payment immediately, even if it is before the date the payment is due.
A payment is not deemed made until we provide you with an online receipt number for such payment. You can download or print a copy of the receipt page with your confirmation number for your records.
If the Credit Card payment is returned for any reason (e.g., because you do not have sufficient funds in your account, closure of your designated Credit Card account), the obligations will remain outstanding and will be subject to all applicable late payment penalties and costs if the payment is delinquent.
In order to use our Online Payment Service, you will need a working connection to the Internet from a personal computer device. The service may not function properly using Web-enabled television, cellular telephone or a similar connection. Your Internet browser must support the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), 128-bit encryption protocol. Mozilla Firefox 2.X or higher and Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.X or higher will support this feature. You also will need either a printer connected to your computer to print Communications or sufficient hard drive space available to save the information. You must have your own Internet service provider (ISP), as we do not provide ISP services.
Disclaimers; Limitation of Liability
We reserve the right to amend (add to, delete, or otherwise change) the terms of these Terms of Payment and the Online Payment Service at any time. By using the Online Payment Service after any amendment, you consent to the Terms of Payment, as it is changed from time to time. Furthermore, we may terminate your use of the Online Payment Service at any time without cause or prior notice.